Note : Short summary is available at the bottom of the article
Mission Karmayogi”-National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB)
● New National Architecture for Civil Services Capacity Building
● Comprehensive reform of the capacity building apparatus at individual, institutional and process levels for efficient public service delivery.
● PM led HR Council to approve and monitor Civil Service Capacity Building Plans
● Capacity Building Commission to harmonize training standards, create shared faculty and resources, and have a supervisory role over all Central Training Institutions.
● Wholly owned SPV to own and operate the online learning platform and facilitate world-class learning content market-place
The capacity of Civil Services plays a vital role in rendering a wide variety of services, implementing welfare programs, and performing core governance functions.
A transformational change in Civil Service Capacity is proposed to be affected by organically linking the transformation of work culture, strengthening public institutions, and adopting modern technology to build civil service capacity with the overall aim of ensuring efficient delivery of services to citizens.
NPCSCB has been carefully designed to lay the foundations for capacity building for Civil Servants so that they remain entrenched in Indian Culture and sensibilities and remain connected with their roots, while they learn from the best institutions and practices across the world. The Programme will be delivered by setting up an Integrated Government Online Training-iGOTKarmayogi Platform.
The core guiding principles of the Mission Karmayogi Programme will be:
(i) Supporting Transition from ‘Rules based’ to ‘Roles based’ HR Management. Aligning work allocation of civil servants by matching their competencies to the requirements of the post.
(ii) To emphasizeon‘on-site learning’ to complement the ‘off-site’ learning.
(iii) To create an ecosystem of shared training infrastructure including that of learning materials, institutions and personnel.
(iv) To calibrate all Civil Service positions to a Framework of Roles, Activities and Competencies (FRACs) approach and to create and deliver learning content relevant to the identified FRACs in every Government entity.
(v) To make available to all civil servants, an opportunity to continuously build and strengthen their Behavioral, Functional and Domain Competencies in their self-driven and mandated learning paths.
(vi) To enable all the Central Ministries and Departments and their Organizations to directly invest their resources towardsco-creation and sharing the collaborative and common ecosystem of learning through an annual financial subscription for every employee.
(vii) To encourage and partner with the best-in-class learning content creators including public training institutions, universities, start-ups and individual experts.
(viii) To undertake data analytics in respect of data emit provided by iGOT-Karmayogi pertaining to various aspects of capacity building, content creation, user feedback and mapping of competencies and identify areas for policy reforms.A Public Human Resources Council comprising of select Union Ministers, Chief Ministers, eminent public HR practitioners, thinkers, global thought leaders and Public Service functionaries under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble Prime Minister will serve as the apex body for providing strategic direction to the task of Civil Services Reform and capacity building.
Read about GS paper 2 articles here
To cover around46 lakh, Central employees, a sum of Rs.510.86 crore will be spent over a period of 5 years from 2020-21 to 2024-25. The expenditure is partly funded by multilateral assistance to the tune of USD 50 million.
A wholly owned Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) for NPCSCB will be set up under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013. The SPV will be a “not-for-profit’’ company and will own and manage the iGOT-Karmayogi platform. The SPV will create and operationalize the content market place and manage key business services of iGOT-Karmayogiplatform relating to content validation, independent proctored assessments, and telemetry data availability. The SPV will own all Intellectual Property Rights on behalf of the Government of India. An appropriate monitoring and evaluation framework will also be put in place for performance evaluation of all users of the iGOT-Karmayogiplatformso to generate a dashboard view of Key Performance Indicators.
It is also proposed to set up a Capacity Building Commission, with a view to ensuring a uniform approach in managing and regulating the capacity building ecosystem on a collaborative and co-sharing basis.
The role of Commission will be as under-
● To assist the PM Public Human Resources Council in approving the Annual Capacity Building Plans.
● To exercise functional supervision over all Central Training Institutions dealing with civil services capacity building
● To create shared learning resources, including internal and external faculty and resource centers.
● To coordinate and supervise the implementation of the Capacity Building Plans with the stakeholder Departments.
● To make recommendations on standardization of training and capacity building, pedagogy and methodology
● To set norms for common mid-career training programs across all civil services.
● To suggest policy interventions required in the areas of HR Management and Capacity Building to the Government.iGOT-Karmayogi the platform brings the scale and state-of-the-art infrastructure to augment the capacities of over two crore officials in India. The platform is expected to evolve into a vibrant and world-class market place for content were carefully curated and vetted digital e-learning material will be made available. Besides capacity building, service matters like confirmation after probation period, deployment, work assignment, and notification of vacancies, etc. would eventually be integrated with the proposed competency framework.
Mission Karmayogi aims to prepare the Indian Civil Servant for the future by making him more creative, constructive, imaginative, innovative, proactive, professional, progressive, energetic, enabling, transparent, and technology-enabled. Empowered with specific role-competencies, the civil servant will be able to ensure efficient service delivery of the highest quality standards. Mission Karmayogi”-National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB)
Summary of Mission Karmayogi
MissionKarmyogi to reincarnate a govt servant into an ideal ‘Karmyogi’ to serve the nation, by enabling him to be creative, constructive, proactive, and technically empowered.
MissionKarmyogi, an endeavor to end the culture of working in silos and multiplicity of training curriculum, with the introduction of a common platform for the uniform realization of the nation’s vision, shared aspirations, and future goals.
It will provide a mechanism for continuous capacity building, a constantly updating talent pool, equal opportunity of professional as well as personal growth, and esteem of self-training for value addition.