The Working Peoples’ Constitution on Coronavirus Disaster in India lists quite a few steps crucial to make sure that the seemingly disruption to the lives and livelihoods of tens of millions of susceptible folks is thoughtfully addressed.
21 March 2020 –
If India, with its brittle economic system and even weaker healthcare infrastructure, is to outlive the present Coronavirus pandemic with out full social, financial and bodily breakdown, it should require drastic, radical and – most significantly – well timed measures which might be commensurate with the size of the disaster. These measures should shield our folks, specifically essentially the most susceptible – together with the aged, the sick and the poor – and essentially the most important of all – the casual employees – the spine of the Indian economic system.
Whereas the present focus is understandably on well being responses and social distancing, we can’t separate the well being danger from the financial danger to working households. Certainly, each have a direct impression on the well being of households. Employees fearing job retrenchment, working with out financial and social help, and worrying about the way to feed their households and earn an revenue, can’t, even when they wished to, observe social distancing and accountable well being practices. These aren’t decisions they will make.Their social and financial circumstances don’t permit them the privilege of social distancing. Subsequently, a complete response to the pandemic is one which has is rooted in each bodily distancing and an infection management with elevated social safety and financial help to employees.
We can’t afford to behave with indecision or to restrict our creativeness. All of the outdated certainties and beliefs we had adopted for years are being put into query. Nations like Spain have nationalized all healthcare services in a single day and even capitalist economies just like the US are speaking about instituting common fundamental revenue to help folks on this disaster. We too should not waver, not get encumbered by outdated methods and outdated frameworks of considering, and act quickly and decisively earlier than it’s too late.
We, the representatives of commerce unions and employee organisations of all sectors (together with formal, casual, self-employed) are distressed to foresee the upcoming financial and social challenges and drastic penalties of the COVID-19 pandemic on the casual sector employees equivalent to home employees, day by day wage employees, building employees, brick making employees, handbook scavenging employees, leisure business employees (like bar dancers et al.), road distributors, auto rickshaw employees, auto items provider employees, service business employees significantly meals & hospitality sector, restaurant employees. gig economic system employees like supply boys, Ola & Uber drivers, waste picker employees, house based mostly employees and many others.
The Working Peoples’ Constitution (WPC) represents the aspirations of greater than 500 million working folks, primarily within the casual sector, throughout the size and breadth of India: working in city or rural, formal or casual sector, in wage employment, self employment, home-based and home employment, and contains all socially oppressed and excluded working folks, whether or not incomes a livelihood or not. We’re heartened to see measures by state governments of Kerala, Uttar Pradesh, and Jharkhand which have particular measures for formal and casual employees. We urge different state governments to quickly observe swimsuit.
As well as, nevertheless, we consider the Central Authorities should help states to create the strongest emergency packages potential. The Central Authorities’s announcement of making a ‘devoted activity power’ to take care of the COVID-19 pandemic is a welcome one to deal with the financial issues and vulnerabilities of the residents of India. On behalf of the WPC, we make the next key suggestion:
The Central Authorities Activity Drive ought to create a Rs. 50,000 crores Emergency Employees Welfare Fund which might add to and complement the state reduction packages and permit states with restricted fiscal capability to depend on central help.
How ought to this Fund be used? Emergency packages at each state and central stage should deliver collectively totally different types of reduction for employees. This Fund have to be each protecting as a response to present welfare shocks which employees are dealing with in addition to be preventive to construct a basis to forestall the following part of financial vulnerability. It may be used for each direct and oblique help to employees. We element the protecting and preventive measures under.
Protecting Measures: Money and Non-Money Transfers
- Particular PDS package deal to employees holding BPL and APL Card, which might maintain their meals necessities at the very least for three months. This will also be supplemented via different state feeding establishments (authorities canteens or feeding centres), or via the subsidising of domestically produced and distributed means by non-state actors.
- All the employees holding BPL and APL playing cards needs to be given ‘Speedy money switch’ @ Rs 10,000 or minimal wages of 1 month.
- Employees enrolled in MGNREGA and agricultural employees ought to get an upfront fee for 50 days of minimal wages, together with @ Rs10,000 or minimal wages of 1 month.
- Employees possessing building employee welfare board playing cards needs to be given @ Rs 10,000 or minimal wages of 1 month.
- Avenue distributors possessing licence for merchandising by municipal establishments or registration underneath retailers and institution act, or surveyed, challaned, skilled by FSSAI, needs to be given @ 10,000 or minimal wages of 1 month.
- Every day wage employees/migrant employees, home employees, waste picker employees carrying any employee organisation card equivalent to Commerce Union, Employee Collective or CSO needs to be given @ 10,000 or minimal wages of 1 month.
- Auto rickshaw and tempo items provider employees possessing driving licence needs to be given @ 10,000 or minimal wages of 1 month.
- Together with money, all the employees additionally should be supplied with security gears as required. Preventive Measures: Securing Fundamental Requirements and Public Items/Providers
- Freeze on eviction of properties, together with evictions of tenants and mortgage funds.
- Ban on reductions in workforce in small and medium enterprises, with payroll help to homeowners to cowl losses with a situation that companies proceed to service provide and vendor contracts.
- Ban all worth hikes and withdraw current worth hikes like on cooking cylinders.
- We perceive that a lot of well being employees/schemeworkers/Honorary employees can be accessing the honorarium, nevertheless their well being will stay at excessive danger. We demand Rs 10 lakhs ex-gratia compensation in case of fatality, and reimbursement of complete medical expenditure.
- Directed provision of night clinics and short-term well being infrastructure in casual/migrant settlements needs to be made obtainable as an emergency response, focussing on migrant inhabitants.
- Safai karamcharis concerned in third occasion contractual work have to be offered statutory entitlements at par with organised sector employees, equivalent to equal wages for equal work, EPFO, ESIC and many others,
- Particular trains have to be offered to make sure dignified transport to migrant employees in case the affected employees need to return to their supply states.
- Pressing motion to safe employees dwelling in slums and casual settlements have to be taken. Slum dwellers, majority of them working class, stay in excessive density localities with poor sanitation, water shortages, and in proximity to sewage. These might turn into dying traps and flash factors for coronavirus enlargement. There have to be an instantaneous suspension of all evictions, demolitions and pressing regularization and proprietary rights for all low-income settlements. Speedy measures should even be taken to make sure sanitation and clear water provision in slums and low-income neighbourhoods.
- Droop utility payments: Suspension of utility payments funds for a interval of at the very least two months for working and center class revenue bracketed households needs to be enforced. Revise vitality agreements for prime and center revenue teams to make sure uninterrupted vitality provide on this interval with out hurting poor customers.
- Speedy measures have to be taken to protect in opposition to worth gouging & monopolization of all important objects, significantly drugs, meals, sanitizers, masks, and medical gear. Restrictions needs to be positioned on the variety of important objects folks should purchase at a time.
- Counter burden on central and state reserves through elevated GST on luxurious objects and land taxes.
- Nationalised and personal banks should create progressive lending devices to make sure the enlargement of reasonably priced credit score for SMEs and different companies in order that they will survive the disaster interval.
- Particular and quick observe courts to listen to pleas of instances regarding home violence and different violence on account of social distancing, self isolation, and many others.
- Create a nationwide emergency helpline quantity for girls and baby security in each non-public and public areas. Create a protocol for quick elimination of the sufferer with out placing the burden of proof.
The Working Peoples’ Constitution Secretariat will be reached at 576, Masjid Highway, Bhogal, Jungpura, New Delhi, and by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org