Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Financial Cooperation
(BIMSTEC) comprising Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand brings
collectively 1.5 billion folks – 21% of the world inhabitants, and a mixed GDP of over US$ 2.5
EVOLUTION OF BIMSTEC
- BIST-EC (Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand – Financial Cooperation) was shaped at a
assembly in Jun 1997 in Bangkok. Myanmar was admitted in Dec 1997 and the group was
renamed BIMST-EC. The grouping expanded when Nepal and Bhutan had been admitted in Feb
- The grouping’s identify was modified to BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral
Technical and Financial Cooperation) at 1st Summit Assembly held in Bangkok in Jul 2004.
FUNCTIONING OF BIMSTEC
- BIMSTEC organizes inter-governmental interactions by way of Summits, Ministerial
Conferences, Senior Officers Conferences and Professional Group Conferences and thru BIMSTEC Working
Group (BWG) primarily based in Bangkok. There have been two BIMSTEC Summit conferences (Bangkok Jul
2004, New Delhi Nov 2008), and 13 Overseas Ministerial conferences (thirteenth MM held in Nay Pyi Taw
in Jan 2011) and 15 SOMs to this point. Myanmar is internet hosting the third BIMSTEC Summit, 14th Ministerial
Assembly, sixteenth SOM, and 2nd Preparatory conferences from 1-4 March 2014 in Nay Pyi Taw.
BIMSTEC Chairmanship rotates amongst member nations (alphabetically). Myanmar is the Chair of
the Group since Dec 2009 and took over from the earlier chair India (Aug 2006-Dec 2009). Nepal
has agreed to Chair after the third Summit.
BIMSTEC Everlasting Secretariat
- The BIMSTEC Everlasting Secretariat is to be established in Dhaka with the primary SG to be
nominated by Sri Lanka. India can be contributing 32% of the price of the Secretariat reflecting
its sturdy dedication to BIMSTEC course of.
AREAS OF COOPERATION
- BIMSTEC has recognized 14 precedence areas the place a member nation takes lead. India is
lead nation for Transport & Communication, Tourism, Surroundings & Catastrophe Administration
and Counter Terrorism & Transnational Crime.
Transport and Communications (India)
- BIMSTEC Transport Infrastructure and Logistics Examine (BTILS) carried out by ADB in 2007
was endorsed in twelfth Ministerial Assembly (Dec 2009). The Report was finalised in Dec 2013.
ADB organised Inception Workshop on BTILS updating and 1st assembly of Professional Group on Highway
Improvement in Yangon in Jun 2013.
- A BIMSTEC Info Centre has been established in Jul 2007 in New Delhi. Ministry
of Tourism organized a gathering on BIMSTEC Info Centre and contribution to Tourism
Fund (1st JWG on Tourism) in Sep 2013 in New Delhi. 1st Spherical Desk and Workshop of Tourism
Ministers was held in Kolkata in Feb 2005; Nepal held 2nd Assembly in Kathmandu in Aug 2006;
Bangladesh will host subsequent assembly.
Counter-Terrorism and Transnational Crime (CTTC)
- BIMSTEC cooperation beneath CTTC has been divided into 4 sub-groups with lead
shepherds – Intelligence Sharing (Sri Lanka); Combating Financing of Terrorism (Thailand), Authorized
and Regulation Enforcement Points (India) and Prevention of Illicit Trafficking in Narcotics Medication,
Psychotropic Substances and Precursors (Myanmar).
- L&T Division of MEA hosted fifth Sub-group on Authorized & Regulation enforcement points in Jan
2013 in New Delhi the place draft Conference on Mutual Authorized Help in Felony Issues was
finalised. Members signed ‘BIMSTEC Conference on Combating Worldwide Terrorism,
Transnational Organized Crime and Illicit Drug Trafficking’ in Dec 2009; India has ratified it.
Surroundings and Catastrophe Administration
- Ministry of Earth Sciences in affiliation with MEA carried out a Workshop on “Seasonal
Prediction and Software to Society” in June 2011. India is establishing BIMSTEC Climate and
Local weather Centre at Nationwide Climate Forecasting Centre at NOIDA. The MOA for institution
of the Centre was finalized at tenth Ministerial assembly in New Delhi in Aug 2008 and is predicted
to be signed throughout third Summit.
Commerce & Funding (Bangladesh)
- A Framework Settlement for BIMSTEC Free Commerce Space was signed in Phuket,
Thailand in Feb 2004. The Framework Settlement commits the events to barter
FTAs in items, providers and investments. An settlement on Commerce in Items and different
provisions regarding Guidelines of Origin, Operational Certification Procedures and
settlement on Customs Cooperation was finalised in Jun 2009 at 18th Commerce Negotiating
Committee (TNC) assembly in Phuket. nineteenth TNC was held in Bangkok in Feb 2011.India
has exchanged its tariff choice schedules with member nations.
- The sixth assembly of BIMSTEC Enterprise and Financial Discussion board had been held in Feb 2011 in
Bangkok. India hosted a Enterprise Summit assembly in Nov 2008 in affiliation with CII, FICCI,
and ASSOCHAM. India hosts an annual Integrating BIMSTEC Seminar held within the North East
(Shillong 2013, Imphal 2014). To facilitate enterprise journey amongst BIMSTEC member nations,
three conferences of the Professional Group have been held on BIMSTEC Visa Scheme.
Cultural Cooperation (Bhutan)
- Members are anticipated to signal MoU on institution of BIMSTEC Cultural Industries
Fee (BCIC) and BIMSTEC Cultural Industries Observatory (BCIO), Bhutan throughout third
Summit. India hosted the first Professional Group Assembly BCIC&O in 2006 in New Delhi. The primary
BIMSTEC Ministerial assembly on Tradition was held in Paro, Bhutan in Might 2006.
- Thailand hosted BIMSTEC Regional Workshop and Examine Go to on Bio-Fuels Manufacturing
and Utilization in Jun 2012 in Bangkok. Ministry of Energy hosted 4thmeeting of Activity Pressure on
Energy Alternate in Jan 2013 in New Delhi which mentioned the draft textual content of MOU on Grid Interconnection. Assembly of Vitality Ministers passed off in Oct 2005 in New Delhi and in March 4-
5, 2010 in Bangkok, Thailand.
- India additionally hosted Activity Pressure Assembly in Feb 2011 in Bengaluru and SOM in Feb 2011 in
New Delhi on operationalisation of BIMSTEC Vitality Centre (MOA signed throughout thirteenth MM). A
land for the Centre has been allotted in premises of Central Energy Analysis Institute,
- Sri Lanka hosted the third assembly on Agriculture in Kandy in Nov 2010. Earlier, on the 2nd
Professional Group Assembly held in New Delhi in Apr 2008, 9 precedence areas (together with lead
nations), had been finalised; India will lead in Prevention and management of transboundary animal
ailments (India); Affiliation of Universities/Analysis Establishments (India); Improvement of
agricultural biotechnology together with bio-safety (India); Improvement of Seeds (India).
Poverty Alleviation (Nepal)
- Nepal hosted the 2nd Ministerial Assembly in Jan 2012 in Kathmandu the place Plan of
Poverty Alleviation was adopted.
Expertise (Sri Lanka)
- Sri Lanka hosted the third assembly on Might 9-10, 2011 in Colombo on
institution of BIMSTEC Expertise Switch Alternate Facility. The assembly
mentioned the draft Idea Paper.
- Thailand organized a coaching programme on Advance Aquatic Crops Tissue Tradition in
Aug 2013 in Bangkok.
Public Well being (Thailand)
- Deptt. Of AYUSH in affiliation with MEA hosted two Workshops on IPR points
and Regulatory points in Conventional Medicines in October 2011 in New Delhi. Since
2005, India has granted 30 slots of AYUSH scholarships to check in India within the fields of
conventional drugs in undergraduate, post-graduate and doctorate packages.
- Thailand hosted 2nd assembly of Community of Nationwide centres of Coordination in
Conventional Medication in Aug 2010 in Nonthaburi; Institute of PG Instructing and Analysis
in Ayurveda (IPGTRA), Jamnagar is the Indian nominee.
Folks-to-Folks Contact (Thailand)
- At India presents 1440 (Civilian), 274 (Defence) and 18 slots in NDC & DSSC beneath
ITEC programme to BIMSTEC nations and the utilisation is nearly 1200. India has
arrange BIMSTEC Community of Suppose Tanks with RIS as nodal company. RIS hosted a twoday assembly of assume tanks on 12-13 Feb, 2010.
Local weather Change (Bangladesh)
- Bangladesh will probably be circulating an idea paper on cooperation on this space quickly
Significance to India. It permits India to pursue
three basic insurance policies: neighborhood first: primacy in the surrounding areas of the nation; eastward motion: joining India with Southeast Asia; the economic growth of India’s northeastern countries by way of Bangladesh and Myanmar connects them with the Bay of Bengal area. It enables India to resist China‘s gradual affect in the nations sursphericaling the Bay of Bengal as a result of the expansion of its “One Belt, One Highway“ initiative. The new platform for India and South Asian Affiliation for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) to work together with neighboring nations is changing into dysfunctional due to variations between India and Pakistan.
|1. A regional organization looking into South Asia|
2. Established in 1985 during the cold war era.
3. Member countries suffer from mistrust and suspicion.
4. Suffers from regional politics
5. Asymmetric power balance.6. Intra-regional trade only 5 percent.
|1. Interregional organization connecting South Asia and Southeast Asia.|
2. Established in 1997 in the post-Cold War.
3. Members maintain reasonably friendly relations.
4. Core objective is the improvement of economic cooperation among countries.
5. Balancing of power with the presence of Thailand and India on the bloc.
6. Intra-regional trade has increased around 6 percent in a decade.
UPSC ESSAYS click on on on here
GS Paper 1 click on on on here
Gs Paper 2 click on on on here
Gs paper 3 click on on on here
GS paper 4 click on on on here