Ayushman Bharat, As per the latest economic survey:
● The Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) contributed to improvement in many health
outcomes in States that implemented the program.
● States that joined the PM-JAY, compared to those that did not experience greater
penetration of health insurance, reduction in infant and child mortality rates, realized
improved access and utilization of family planning services and greater awareness of
● Across all the States, the proportion of households with health insurance increased by 54% for
States that implemented PM-JAY while falling by 10% in States that did not.
Key Features of PM-JAY:
- The world’s largest health insurance/ assurance
scheme fully financed by the government.
- It provides cover of 5 lakhs per family per year,
for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization
across public and private empaneled hospitals in
- Coverage: Over 10.74 crore poor and vulnerable
entitled families (approximately 50 crore
beneficiaries) are eligible for these benefits.
- Provides cashless access to health care services
for the beneficiary at the point of service.
Eligibility for Ayushman Bharat
● No restrictions on family size, age, or gender.
● All pre-existing conditions are covered from day one.
● It covers medical procedures such as oncology, cardiology, nephrology, etc, and up to three
days of pre-hospitalization and 15 days post-hospitalization expenses such as diagnostics and
medicines are also included in the scheme.
● The benefits of the scheme are portable across the country.
● Services include approximately 1,393 procedures covering all the costs related to treatment,
including but not limited to drugs, supplies, diagnostic services, physician’s fees, room
charges, surgeon charges, OT and ICU charges, etc.
● Public hospitals are reimbursed for the healthcare services at par with the private hospitals.
UPSC ESSAYS click on on here
GS Paper 1 click on on here
Gs Paper 2 click on on here
Gs paper 3 click on on here
GS paper 4 click on on here